Friday, November 29, 2013

Mini Tofu Pumpkin Pies with a Graham Cracker Protein Crust

I've been making my tofu pumpkin pie for years, and everyone from my 3 year old cousin to my 80 year old grandparents could never guess that it was made with tofu! I usually use a store-bought graham cracker crust, but this year I wanted to challenge myself and try to make my own. It came out WAY better than I imagined! However, a few things actually went wrong in the process. Firstly, I planned on only using almond flour as my flour, but I didn't have enough. So, I added coconut flour. Second, I didn't make enough batter to fill a pie tin, so I had to make mini pies. Overall, I'm thankful for these mistakes because the end product was incredible!

You can buy your own pie crust and just make the filling, but I highly recommend making this crust at some point in time. Tastes just like a graham cracker crust .... if not better!


Mini Tofu Pumpkin Pies with a Graham Cracker Protein Crust

Ingredients for the crust:

1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 scoop Cinnamon Graham Cracker whey protein powder (Optimum Nutrition), or vanilla
2 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup (or regular)
2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted

Ingredients for the filling:

1 cup silken tofu (make sure you drain excess water)
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon sugar-free maple syrup (or regular)
1/2 teaspoon xantham gum (optional)
Stevia to taste (I used 4 packets of Truvia)

Directions:

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
2. Combine crust ingredients in a large bowl. Knead with your hands until a dough forms.
3. Divide dough evenly into 6 balls. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray. Add one dough ball to each muffin cup, pressing down so it covers the bottom of the cup. Bake 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, blend together your filling ingredients. Divide filling evenly and place on top of your pre-baked crust. Bake for about 30 minutes.
5. Remove your mini pies from the muffin tin and place in the fridge to set. Allow to set for at least an hour.

Nutrition Information (for one mini pie): 190 Calories, 8.6 g Fat, 17.5 g CHO (4.2 g Fiber), 10.8 g Protein


No comments:

Post a Comment