Monday, February 4, 2013

Yogurt Flax Protein Panckes

I wanted to create a new pancake recipe this morning to switch it up a bit, and came up with this one on a whim as I rushed to get ready for work (I had a hard time leaving the gym this morning ;) ). I opened my fridge, and noticed I had a little greek yogurt left. I'm a big fan of plain greek yogurt- it has a creamy, thick texture, and contains almost twice the amount of protein of regular yogurt. One 6 ounce container of low fat Greek yogurt contains 13-16 grams of protein. My favorite brand is Total Fage 0% because it has the creamiest texture. Although it's a great healthy snack option, beware of the flavored versions- they contain a lot of added sugar. For example, Chobani Blueberry contains 20 g of sugar while The plain contains only 7 g (which comes from the natural sugars in milk). Chobani blueberry contains naturally occuring sugars from milk and fruit, but also from evaporated cane juice. Necessary? I think not. I always buy plain and sweeten it myself with Truvia, cinnamon, and fresh fruit. Other uses for Greek yogurt? I use it for dressings, sauces, as a substitute for sour cream, as a topper for pancakes, and as a protein frosting (by mixing it with protein powder-YUM).

Ok, back to the pancakes! Ingredients like cottage cheese, yogurt, ricotta cheese, pureed banana, butternut squash, sweet potato, etc., all add moisture and enhance the texture of pancakes. I've tried all of the previously mentioned, so I figured it was yogurt's time to shine. This recipe is flour-free and oat-free. I'm sure they would be pretty tasty with ground oats, but it's been done a million times and I wanted to take on the challenge of making them without added carbohydrates. These were really flavorful and moist. Best part? This recipe yielded a HUGE 8 layer stack of pancakes!! (The picture below shows only 7 because I ate one before taking it- couldn't help it).



Yogurt Flax Protein Pancakes

Ingredients:

1/4 cup plain 0% Total Fage Greek Yogurt
3 tablespoons egg beaters
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup vanilla whey protein powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
Truvia and Cinnamon to taste

Directions:

1. Whisk together the yogurt, egg beaters, and vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the remaining dry ingredients together.
3. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
4. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Drop the batter by the spoonful onto the pan. Cook until bubbles start to form adn the pancake sets around the edges. Flip and cook another minute or so on the other side.

Serves 1

Nutrition Facts: 146 Calories, 2.8 g Fat, 8.7 g CHO, 2.6 g Fiber, 22 g Protein


No comments:

Post a Comment