Saturday, February 16, 2013

Teriyaki Braised Cabbage with Creamy Goat Cheese

 I got this recipe idea from a co-worker (thanks Colleen!!) and decided I had to try it for two good reasons: 1. I have never made cabbage as a side dish (I usually use it for soups) and wanted to expand my cabbage cooking horizons 2. I'm obsessed with goat cheese. Good enough, right? Stirring in the goat cheese at the end was KEY. Goat cheese has such a creamy, rich flavor- just a little goes a long way. I had it three days in a row! The first night I made it, I paired it with a simply roasted wild Alaskan cod that I bought from Trader Joe's. I like to keep my protein simple when I have a lot of flavor going on with a side. It was such a satisfying and healthy meal!
 
I don't feel like I should write an official recipe because I didn't measure anything. So here's my easy directions: 

Roughly chop one head of red cabbage. Cook over medium high heat on a pan coated with cooking spray and drizzled with a little olive oil. Cook for about 5-10 minutes until the cabbage begins to soften slightly. Add about 2 tablespoons low-sodium teriyaki sauce, cover the pan with a lid, and cook for about 20 minutes until the cabbage is soft. Stir in about 2 tablespoons of goat cheese at the end of cooking until melted through.

Bonus: When compared to cow's milk products like cream cheese, goat cheese (also known as chevre) is lower in fat, calories, and cholesterol!

No comments:

Post a Comment