Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Savory Protein Quiche

I don't particularly love quiche, but I couldn't refuse this challenge. I am on a mission to modify every calorie, fat, and carbohydrate-laden recipe to make them healthier. A typical quiche is made with white flour and butter, then filled with eggs, cheese, milk, heavy cream, etc. There are many variations, but the crust is usually standard- perfect candidate for a nutrition upgrade :)

I got inspired to try this recipe after Anna posted it. She used pea protein in her recipe, which I have, but I have a special place in my heart (or should I say stomach?) for using brown rice protein for savory-ish recipes. I took her advice and added some flaxseed to mine. The texture of this crust is unbelievable- it held together and stood its ground after I cut into it. It is such a great mini-meal or snack.

Note: I do not own any special kind of quiche tin. I simply baked mine in a muffin tin. Going forward, I will be keeping my eye out for a small quiche tin :)


Brown Rice Protein Quiche

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons egg whites
2 scoops brown rice protein powder
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 tablespoon flaxseed
Salt and onion powder to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Blend all ingredients together (I used my Ninja).
3. Scoop out your batter and roll into a ball. Place into a mini quiche tin or muffin tin sprayed with non-stick spray.
4. Use your fingers to form the dough into the shape of the tin. Spread fairly thin.
5. Bake about 15-20 minutes, or until it starts to brown. Take it out and allow your quiche to cool slightly.
6. Top with your fillings and bake until fillings are set.

After I baked my quiche crust, I filled it with egg beaters mixed with a little cottage cheese and seasonings- definitely recommend this!

No comments:

Post a Comment