Friday, January 10, 2014

Broccoli Pesto

Sometimes I'm really sneaky with my veggies :) I always seem to find a way to add vegetables to all my recipes. This pesto is perfect on top of pasta, zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, or as a spread for sandwiches and wraps. Also a tasty topping for fish or chicken. I topped my spiralized sweet potato "noodles" with the pesto for dinner tonight- such a great flavor combination! This recipe has less oil traditional pesto, and the broccoli gives it more nurtrients and fiber. Got to get those greens in!


Broccoli Pesto

Ingredients:

1 package steam-in-bag broccoli
1/2 cup tightly packed fresh parsley 
2 tablespoons pepitas (or other nut/seed)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon olive oil 
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:

1. Cook broccoli in microwave according to package directions. 
2. Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat and add the pepitas to "toast" them lightly (only 2-3 minutes until lightly brown). You can skip this step, but it gives the pesto a great flavor.
3. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Store in the fridge or serve right away! 


No comments:

Post a Comment