I was in Whole Foods the other day when I noticed Melissa's Beets on sale. I picked up the package with one goal in mind: Red Velvet Protein Pancakes. Yes, these are pancakes made with beets (NO they do not taste like beets!). They are delicious AND healthy. How does it get better than that? Make these!
For the Pancakes:
1/4 cup oatmeal
1 tablespoon coconut flour
2 tablespoons chocolate whey protein (I used Cellucor)
1/2 tablepsoon psyllium
1/2 t baking powder
2 tablespoons cottage cheese
3 tablespoons egg whites
3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (or any milk)
1 1/2 medium cooked beets, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
5-10 chocolate stevia drops (or unflavored)
For the Sauce:
1 tablespoon chocolate whey protein
1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk (or any milk)
1. Blend oatmeal into oat flour (I used my Ninja food processor)
2. Add remaining ingredients. Blend until all ingredients mix thoroughly.
3. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Once hot, add your pancake batter by the spoonful.
4. Cook until edges set, then flip. Cook another 1-2 minutes on the other side.
5. Mix sauce ingredients. Pour over your pancakes.
Nutrition Info (Pancakes only): 242 Calories, 4 g Fat, 31 g CHO (11.6 g Fiber), 20.4 g Protein
Nutrition Info (With Chocolate Sauce): 266 Calories, 4 g Fat, 32 g CHO (11.6 g Fiber), 25.4 g Protein
*Note: Nutrition Info will vary depending on the brand of products you use. The links in the ingredient list will bring you to iherb.com which is where I bought my ingredients. If you use the link, or code ZSG766, you can get up to $10 off your first purchase!