Monday, July 29, 2013

Protein Fro-Yo: The Answer to Your Ice Cream Problems

When I was younger, my favorite dessert was  ice cream. Mint chocolate chip ice cream. One of the best memories I have as a little girl is when my dad was home for what we called "family movie night" and he made his famous "specials". Right before the movie would start my dad would bellow out, "OK girls, whose ready for specials!" (yea, corny post so far . . . just keep reading). He would literally throw anything on top of that ice cream (maybe why I'm such an adventurous eater?). Pretzels, sprinkles, peanut butter, whipped cream, candies, chocolate syrup, tons of cherries (which I always saved for last) . . . the list goes on. As I got older, family movie night disappeared, as did "specials". But so did my eating habits. As I learned more about food and nutrition, I found it exciting to make healthy versions of all of my favorite foods. I had been freezing yogurt in place of ice cream and making fun desserts, but this is by far the most delicious, creamiest, and flavorful combinations yet. I have my protein fro-yo every single day. That's how insanely good it is.

It took several months of seeing @spicyysweet post her protein fro-yo before I finally tried it. Life changing. So the ratio of cottage cheese to yogurt is all her. The entire recipe so versatile, but this is my favorite way to make it. Use different flavored protein powders, fruits, nut butters and flavored stevia to mix it up. Throw in whatever toppings you fancy (coconut, carob chips, nuts, etc.).  I love to crumble half of one of my protein bars or muffins on top right before I eat it. SO GOOD.

Warning: You may become addicted : )






 Protein Fro-Yo

Ingredients:

1/3 cup cottage cheese (I use Daisy 2%, use whatever you like)
1/3 cup plain Greek Yogurt (I use Total Fage 0%)
2 tablespoons casein or whey protein powder (casein makes it extra creamy)
1 tablespoon almond or peanut butter (optional but recommended!)
1/4 berries of choice
Stevia to taste

Directions:

1. Nuke your berries in the microwave for about 25 seconds, or until warm and gooey.
2. Add all ingredients together (including the berries), and mix well.
3. Place in the freezer for about 1 1/2 hours. Top with half of one of my protein bars or muffins for some extra goodness.

*If its too frozen, nuke in the microwave in intervals until it unfreezes a little. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment