Thursday, April 18, 2013

Oatmeal Crisp Baked Apples

My dad likes to buy in bulk sometimes, and doesn't usually check the quality of the contents in the bag . . . so he bought a bag of Gala apples. They that weren't bad, but they weren't up to par for eating on their own. My mom was about to throw them out (!) . . . but I saved the little guys when I offered to bake them up for dessert. They were SO easy and quick, so I was surprised by how much my sister and my parents RAVED about them. I decided to take a bite and shocked myself- they tasted like apple pie! This is a great, healthy dessert for the whole family!


Oatmeal Crisp Baked Apples

Ingredients:

Apples:

4 apples (I used Gala)
1/3 cup plain oatmeal
3-4 tablespoons sugar-free syrup (enough to coat the oats)
Pumpkin pie spice (or just cinnamon!)

Vanilla Protein Frosting:

1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional, but so tasty!!)
Truvia to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cut apples in half and scoop out seeds. Leave a small "hole" to put your filling in.
3. Mix together the syrup and the oats.
4. Place the oat mixture in the "hole" of each apple. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
5. Bake for about 25-30 minutes.
6. To prepare the frosting: stir together all frosting ingredients! Top your apples!

No comments:

Post a Comment