Friday, March 29, 2013

Egg White Sandwich on Cauliflower "Flatbread"

I was experimenting with a new cauliflower pizza crust recipe the other night as part of my meal prep for the week. My original plan was to make the crust and throw it in the fridge until I was ready to add my toppings and eat it the next day.

I was running a little behind the next morning, and adding toppings and cooking my pizza in the oven seemed like it would take too long. Thinking of what would take the least amount of time, I took half of my crust, spread it with a Light Laughing Cow wedge, topped with with some chopped cooked broccoli, and a hard boiled egg white. Folded it in half and let grilled it on my George Foreman. Result? Another option for a clean and healthy egg sandwich!




Cauliflower Flatbread

Ingredients:

2 cups riced cauliflower (I used my Ninja)
1 tablespoon flaxseed
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1/2 cup of egg beaters
Garlic powder, oregano, and basil, to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat a pizza stone on 450. Let it heat up for about 5 minutes then lower your temperature to 425. (Or skip the preheating step and just use a baking sheet lined with parchment paper if you don't have a pizza stone).
2. Mix all ingredients together (mix well- no clumps!)
3. Place your newly formed "dough" onto your pizza stone or baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Form your dough into a ball, then spread it out into the shape of a pizza (I used the back of my spoon to spread it out evenly). It should be about 1/2 an inch thick.
4. Bake for about 20-30 minutes, or until it starts to turn golden brown.
5. From here, you can add toppings and put it back in the oven to make a delicious cauliflower pizza, OR let the crust cool and make a flatbread! Fill it with whatever you like!

Nutrition Facts (for half the crust): 93 calories, 8 g CHO, 2 g Fat, 9 g Protein

One whole head of cauliflower yields A LOT of riced cauliflower to play with. What did I do what some leftovers? I used it to create a cauliflower fried "rice" dish.



Cauliflower Fried Rice

How to:

I sauteed together about 1 cup of riced cauliflower, few slices of frying peppers, about 1/3 cup cooked, chopped broccoli, julienned carrots, diced cooked shrimp, about a teaspoon's worth of powdered ginger, some garlic powder, and a sprinkle of stevia. Towards the end of cooking, I added 1/3 cup egg whites. When the egg whites were cooked through, I topped it with some Sriracha and served it over a pre-cooked mashed up sweet potato. I brought to work and ate it cold (cause that's just how I do). Flavor explosion!!

Use whatever veggies and protein combinations you like!



No comments:

Post a Comment