Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Mango Coconut Protein Muffin-Cakes!

     I'm not really sure why this recipe came to me. It's actually kind of weird how it all came together actually- almost like it was destined to happen. It all started when I bought a mango at the grocery store two days ago. I NEVER buy mangoes. It's not that I don't like them, I just like to stick to my usual when it comes to fruit. I'm not sure why I put it in my shopping cart, but I did. The next day, @clean_lovin posted a recipe for "Mango Coconut Protein Muffins". They looked delicious, but mostly consisted of oats. I like when my treats are mostly protein. So, I "liked" her photo, but didn't plan on making them.
     I was driving home from interning at the hospital all day and it was then that the ingredients all jumped out at me: mango, protein powder, coconut flakes....what would make this recipe different from every other protein powder treat? Ah, yes- silken tofu! I had leftover silken tofu from my Tofu Avocado Cream sauce recipe that I made and wanted to use it up. How perfect! I had exactly 40 minutes before I had to leave my house to meet a client, so the pictures are not how I'd like them to look, but I was in a SERIOUS rush. Why couldn't I just wait until I got home? Not sure. My inner baker voice was telling me "IT''S NOW OR NEVER!" And I'm SO happy I listened. These babies came out insanely moist and tropical-licious (yea....not a word). One of my favorite creations ever! I was planning on muffins, but they kind of came out as a cross between a muffin and a cupcake. Therefore, I am calling them Muffin-cakes! You can probably make them in a brownie tin and cut them into bars, or even make them into a cake!! OK, here's the recipe!


 Mango Coconut Protein Muffin-Cakes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup diced mango
1/2 cup silken tofu
1/4 cup egg whites
2 tablespoons unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Almond Milk (can use regular Almond milk, or your milk of choice)
1 teaspoon vanilla (Next time I'll use coconut extract, mine had leaked all over and I couldn't use it :( )
1/2 cup vanilla whey protein powder
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
2 tablespoons coconut flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 packets Truvia (or to taste)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. Place the diced mango, silken tofu, egg whites, milk and vanilla until smooth. 
3. Add all of the dry ingredients. Blend well.
4. Pour batter into the muffin tin (It is enough for four muffins- fill about 2/3 of the way)
5. Bake 15-20 minutes. 
6. Remove from muffin cups and allow to cool.

I didn't have time to make the frosting I wanted, so I mixed together some Greek yogurt with Truvia and topped it with some coconut flakes. Next time, I'll add in some vanilla protein powder to make it more "frosting" like. They are also awesome without frosting. I packed one to accompany my salad at lunch today. Seriously one my FAVORITE recipes to date. MUST TRY!! Let me know what you think! 

P.S. I don't have the EXACT macros just yet, but one muffin provides approximately 112 calories, 9 grams CHO, 3 grams Fat, 3 grams fiber, and 12 grams of Pro!




No comments:

Post a Comment