Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Pancake/Waffle Madness

I seriously need to stop thinking about waffles and pancakes. I've probably researched and googled every possible recipe that exits on the internet. I've tried so many different variations that I wound up losing the sticky note  that had my favorite one written down! I was trying to squeeze the recipe out of my brain- and although I know it's not EXACTLY what I did, the waffle I made this morning was definitely TOP notch. Here's a summary of my experiments this week:

            Here we have some protein pancake towers layered with some fitness frosting (Greek Yogurt + Truvia+ Vanilla Protein Powder). I remember wanting to name these Cake Batter Protein Pancake Towers because I think I added some Cake Batter Capella Drops to them. I'm pretty sure it was a mix that included Vanilla Protein Powder, flaxseed, egg whites, cinnamon, baking powder, and butternut squash.


Next up:
These were SO good. The syrup idea is genius. Inspired by www.eatingbirdfood.com to make them. Almost sure this is how it went down:

Butternut Squash Protein Pancake with PB Syrup

Ingredients:
2-3 tablespoons egg whites
3 tablespoons Vanilla Protein Powder
¼ cup butternut squash mashed into a puree (I steamed mine and threw it in my Magic Bullet)
1 teaspoon ground flax seeds
¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Cinnamon and Truvia to taste
2-3 drops of Cake Batter Capella drops (optional)
1 tablespoon PB2 or other powdered peanut butter
1½ tablespoons unsweetened vanilla coconut almond milk

Directions:
  1. In a small bowl mix together the egg whites, protein powder, squash, flaxseed, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and Truvia until all the powder is dissolved.
  2. Spray a medium sized pan with cooking spray and set heat to medium-low.
  3. Pour in pancake batter and cook until little bubbles form (about 3-4 minutes). Carefully flip the pancake over to the other side. I made two pancakes.
  4. Cook until pancake is done in the middle. It typically takes about about 2-3 minutes.
  5. Mix your PB2 with your milk (YUM)
  6. Place pancakes on a plate, drizzle with peanut butter topping.
Finally- after much experimenting, thinking, and researching, I came up with a waffle recipe that ISN'T dry and actually lets you taste some of the pumpkin or butternut squash flavors. On a side note, I actually think I prefer butternut squash. I think it might be because the squash was fresh and the pumpkin was canned. I'll have to use fresh pumpkin one day. These were DELISH and my favorite so far:


 Brown Rice Protein Pumpkin Waffles

Ingredients:

1 scoops (8 grams) Brown Rice Protein Powder
1 tablespoon Almond Flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons canned pumpkin or puréed butternut squash
3-4 tablespoons egg whites/beaters
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon and Truvia to taste

Directions:

1. Heat waffle iron
2.Mix together the dry ingredients and the butternut squash or pumpkin in a small bowl.
3. Mix together the egg whites and vanilla in a separate small bowl. gradually add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
4. Pour mixture onto your hot waffle iron. DONE.

Topped in the picture with Greek yogurt + Truvia + Vanilla Protein Powder (I'm a little obsessed with this). 

You can easily double this recipe for a full meal.




No comments:

Post a Comment