Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Savory Pumpkin Protein Bread and Pumpkin Protein Muffins!

Two confessions: 1. I'm OBSESSED with pumpkin 2. I've been slacking on my blogging. I've been cooking and packing lunches like crazy, but I haven't been blogging as much as I would like to be :(. Interning and working full-time and taking classes does not give me much free time. However, I am now in my food service rotation and find myself with a little extra "me" time here and there. So, I get to post two new pumpkin recipes!!

I used the Savory Pumpkin Protein Bread recipe that Anna posted, but modified it a bit. The first time I made it, the 5 T of soy sauce that the recipe called for was WAY too much. So I lowered the amount and it came out perfect!

Savory Pumpkin Protein Bread

Ingredients:

3/4 cup egg whites
1/2 cup pea protein (I use Swanson)
1/4 cup coconut powder
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2.5 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup unsweetened almond Milk
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
3. Place in a loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray.
4. Bake for about 30 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack.

YUM. I brought a slice with me for lunch today along with zucchini noodles in avocado cream sauce and a veggie burger :). Here's a picture of a slice that I semi-kinda already bit into:


I had some pumpkin left over, so I decided to throw together another fun snack. What happened? Pumpkin Protein Muffins! I couldn't find any that were in my carbohydrate/calorie range, so I made this one up on a whim. . . Success!


Pumpkin Protein Muffins

Ingredients:

1/2 cup pumpkin
1/2-3/4 cup unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Almond Milk
3 tablespoons egg whites
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup vanilla whey protein powder
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
4 slices banana (optional)

Directions:

1. Mix the dry ingredients together. Add the pumpkin and blend well.
2. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and blend well. Divide mixture into four muffin tins sprayed with cooking spray. Place a banana slice the center of each one.
3. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.

I have to calculate the exact nutrition facts, but one muffin (out of the four) was roughly 110 calories! I put one in my sister's lunchbox. Her reaction?: "Holy balls, this is soooo good!"

No comments:

Post a Comment