Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Chocolate Banana Quinoa Pancakes with Chocolate Peanut Butter Sauce

I love trying new foods and experimenting with pancakes. I always try to order one new item that I haven't tried before whenever I place an order at iherb.com (one of my favorite places to order most of my flours and stevia extracts). My last order included quinoa flour. Quinoa flour is one of the oldest cultivated grains in the world- the Inca's called it the "mother of all grains". Quinoa is higher in protein than most grains, it is gluten free, and it is a rich source of iron, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. I am loving the flavor and texture that it gives my pancakes! It's similar to coconut flour in that it makes my pancakes fluffy, but it doesn't require as much liquid. Quinoa flour is officially a pantry staple for me! If you decide to order it from iherb.com, you can use my discount code (on my home page) to get money off your first order!

Note: If you don't have Sunwarrior protein powder, you can probably use regular whey protein, but don't use as much milk (whey protein doesn't absorb as much liquid). Remember, the thicker the batter, the better the pancakes! Also, don't fear the cauliflower. I use it in almost ALL of my pancake recipes because it gives such an amazing cake-like texture. You don't taste it- I promise!

Pancake time!

                               
                              



Chocolate Banana Quinoa Pancakes with Chocolate Peanut Butter Sauce

Ingredients for Pancakes:

1/3 cup riced cauliflower (put in a food processor and pulse until it looks like couscous)
1/4 cup quinoa flour
3/4 scoop Sunwarrior Chocolate Protein Powder
1/2 tablespoon psyllium husk
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 medium banana (about 50 grams)
3 tablespoons egg whites
1/3 cup almond milk

Ingredients for Chocolate Peanut Butter Sauce (optional- use whatever sauces and toppings you like!):

1 tablespoon Walden Farms sugar-free chocolate syrup
2 tablespoons peanut flour (or PB2)
Water

1. Put the riced cauliflower in a small bowl and cook in the microwave for 40 seconds. Set aside.
2. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Add all of the pancake ingredients into a food processor (including the cauliflower). Blend until smooth.
3. Add pancake batter by the spoonful. Cook until the edges set and small bubbles start to form. Flip. Cook on the other side about 3-4 minutes.
4. To make the sauce, combine the chocolate syrup and the peanut flour. Slowly add water until it becomes a thick sauce. Layer the pancakes with the sauce. Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment