Monday, August 26, 2013

Sweet Potato Pie Protein Pancakes

Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods. They are a great source of vitamin A and beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant. Sweet potatoes are a great choice as a complex carbohydrate, and one medium size has a little over 3 g of fiber!
        Unlike simple carbohydrates such as white rice and pasta, sweet potatoes have a low glycemic index. Foods with a low glycemic index don't raise your blood sugar levels as quickly, giving you a steady supply of energy throughout the day. 
        There are so many ways to eat sweet potatoes. I love roasting them or baking them, and when I'm short on time I cook them in the microwave! Sweet potatoes are a staple in my diet, so I always make sure I have them pre-cooked and ready to go. These pancakes are a great way to incorporate sweet potatoes at breakfast time for a satisfying, nutritious breakfast.


Sweet Potato Pie Protein Pancakes

Ingredients:

3 ounces cooked sweet potato
1/4 cup egg whites
2 tablespoons vanilla almond milk
1 scoop vanilla whey protein
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Stevia and cinnamon to taste

Directions:

1. Blend together all ingredients (I used my Ninja).
2. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add your pancake batter by the spoonful.
3. Once the pancake begins to set and small bubbles start to form, flip your pancakes. Cook about 2-3 more minutes until done.

I served mine with PB2 sauce and sugar-free maple syrup. YUM.

Nutrition Info: 198 calories, 1.4 grams Fat, 20.7 g CHO, 3.1 g Fiber, 25.6 g Protein

Nutrition information will vary depending on the brands of ingredients you use. I used unsweetened almond milk, and MRM protein. 

No comments:

Post a Comment