Wednesday, September 5, 2012

TVP Oatmeal and Protein Paninis

Started my morning again with a 5:30 workout. I love waking up when its still dark and everyone is sleeping. The house is quiet and calm so my workouts seem more peaceful. I started pondering what I wanted for breakfast in between sets of push-ups and thought- I kind of want a warm stick-to-your-guts type of breakfast. I suddenly got motivated to revisit my lonely stash of TVP that I've been trying to figure out how to use. My first TVP oatmeal test failed a few months ago- mostly because I was impatient and tried to quick-cook it in the microwave and skimped out on the added water. Gross. Anyway, I decided to let 1/4 cup of TVP granules soak in hot water while I showered. After about 20 minutes of soaking, I placed the TVP in a pot and added a little more water and Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut/Almond Milk (super tasty and only 45 calories per cup!). I brought it to a boil and added 3 T PB2 (OBSESSED), Truvia, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a few slices of banana. It was warm peanut buttery deliciousness! Next time I think I will use 3 T of TVP and 1 T dry oats, 1/2 a scoop of vanilla protein powder, and 2 T PB2- the variations and possibilities are endless!



Is it sad that one of the reasons I'm most excited to be a dietetic intern is the fact that I get to pack lunches again? I promised myself I'd take a picture of my pretty lunch when I took it out, but I wound up feeling awkward because I didn't think I'd be sitting near so many other people. However, I discreetly pretended I was checking e-mails and shut off my flash to sneak a picture of my yummy protein panini with Veggie Ham slices and a Light Laughing Cow wedge. I say protein panini because the main ingredients are egg whites, pea protein powder, psylium husk powder, and coconut flour. With that, I had my zucchini noodles tossed with a creamy avocado sauce, tomato, and fresh basil. What did my preceptor have for lunch? A giant kaiser roll with butter... I guess not all dietitians are foodies??


Protein Panini Bread

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon psylium husk powder
1 teaspoon pea protein
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon egg whites

Directions:

1. Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowel.
2. Coat a small non-stick pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Pour mixture into pan  Cook about 30 seconds and flip. Cook another 30 seconds on the other side until done.
3. Fill with whatever you like!
4. Heat a panini grill/George Foreman grill, or just heat a small pan. Fold your "panini" in half and grill until browned.

I actually worked today at my internship. I shadowed my preceptor as she did rounds on her floors, learned how to use "Gerimenu" to create and modify the resident's menus, worked on nutrition assessments and care plans, and got a taste of how to write an MDS (required for all long-term care facilities). I also learned I will not be using SOAP notes- the information that was DRILLED into my head in school as one of the most important parts of the nutrition assessment. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment