Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Dietetic Internship Day 1: Long Term Care

Today was the first day of my Dietetic Internship- which means in nine months my name will read: Adena Neglia, MS, RD. My first rotation is Long Term Care. I'm excited to start assessing patients and becoming more familiar with lab values, tube feeding regimes, and planning diets. However, I am DREADING the day that I have to see a pressure sore (very prevalent in the geriatric population). My internship director mentioned that a few interns have passed out in the past after seeing them. That will definitely be me. Ugh.

Anyway, I started my morning with a 5:30 a.m. work-out (I don't remember the last time my alarm clock went off that early). I came home all motivated and made myself some Vanilla Flax Protein Pancakes to get me started for my big day:


The dietitian I am supposed to be working under isn't coming back from vacation until tomorrow so the other dietitian gave me a MONSTER handbook to read followed by another MONSTER book about medical nutrition therapy for long term care (which I've been reading about for the past week to re-eduate myself). When she asked me if I wanted to audit some dietary medical records I nearly jumped for joy. I must've done them fast because she acted quite impressed...not sure why because it was super easy. I really hope tomorrow is more exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment