Thursday, June 19, 2014

Low Carb Flax Waffle

This was by far one of the best waffles I've ever made. What makes them lower in carbohydrates? I used protein powder and ground flaxseed in place of flour. Flaxseeds are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids antioxidants, and fiber. What else is amazing about this recipe? I used riced cauliflower. Yes, cauliflower in my waffles. And no, the waffles do NOT taste like cauliflower. They will make them moist. If you've ever tried baking with protein powder before and they've come out super dry, it's because you did not use moisturizing agent. Examples of these include canned pumpkin, yogurt, applesauce, cottage cheese, cooked winter squash (acorn, kabocha, butternut), cooked beets, and more. I usually use two, and one of them is always cauliflower. Read more about why I use cauliflower in my waffles and pancakes here.


Low Carb Flax Waffle

Ingredients:

1/2 cup riced cauliflower
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
2/3 scoop whey protein powder (I love using Cellucor brand)
1/2 tablespoon psyllium husk 
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons almond milk
3 tablespoons egg whites
Stevia to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat waffle iron.
2. To rice your cauliflower, place raw florets in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. I use my Ninja for this. Cook in the microwave for 40 seconds.
3. Meanwhile, add the flaxseed through the stevia to your food processor. Add the cauliflower. Blend until smooth.
4. Coat your waffle iron with cooking spray. Add batter and cook until done!

No comments:

Post a Comment