Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Banana Bread Psylium Protein Pancakes with PB2 Sauce

I LOVE all of the pancakes that I've posted. I especially LOVE the ones that call for the least amount of ingredients and preparation, because:

#1: I'm SUPER busy
#2: Less ingredients = More $ in my pocket
#3: Easier to remember so I can prepare "on the fly"

So, I was very interested in trying Cassey's recipe which called for four ingredients: protein powder, eggs, water (or milk), and psyllium husk. I found the recipe right before I was getting ready for bed, so I decided to make the batter and leave it in the fridge overnight. I had a feeling that I would wake up to a really thick batter in the morning (psyllium husk absorbs A LOT of liquid) . . . and I was right. I wound up adding a lot of water and the pancakes were a little on the rubbery side.

Finally got it right the next day, although slightly modified from Cassey's recipe. I used banana flavored protein powder, but any flavor works. This recipe is so flexible- there are endless combinations of flavors and additions (fruit, peanut butter, butternut squash, pumpkin, etc.). I LOVED these:


Banana Bread Psylium Pancakes

Ingredients:

1 scoop Banana Flavored Whey Protein Powder
1 tablespoon pyslium husk
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar-free vanilla pudding mix (optional, but recommended)
Truvia to taste
Cinnamon to taste (I like a lot!)
1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
3 tablespoon egg beaters
1 teaspoon vanilla
Banana slices (optional)

Directions:

1. Mix together dry ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Whisk together the egg beaters, almond milk, and vanilla.
3. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Do not overmix.
4. Add batter to a HOT pan coated with cooking spray. If using the banana slices, put in the center of each pancake. Flip when the pancake "sets" and bubbles start to form. Cook until the other side is done.
5. EAT!!!

I made a peanut butter syrup with PB2, water, and a little Truvia and drizzled it right on top. SO YUM!!

I'll post the nutrition facts soon- but the whole thing is fiber and protein packed and only about 220-ish calories!

I've seriously made these for a week and a half straight. Here are some other variations:

Strawberry Cheesecake:


Substitute with sugar-free cheesecake pudding mix and vanilla protein powder. Add sliced strawberries instead of banana. Leave out the cinnamon. Serve with layers of Truvia sweetened Greek yogurt and sugar free syrup. 

Lemon Blueberry:


Substitute with sugar-free lemon pudding mix and vanilla protein powder. Add blueberries instead of banana. Leave out the cinnamon. Serve with layers of Truvia sweetened Greek yogurt and sugar-free syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment