Friday, June 6, 2014

Zucchini Noodles with Avocado Sauce

Zucchini takes the place of pasta in this light and healthy dish! The flavors of the creamy avocado on the cold, crisp, zucchini "noodles" are the perfect combination to help you feel satisfied without weighing you down. I made this dish for about two months straight during my dietetic internship. It was easy and quick to prepare, and kept me going all day at the hospital. Plus it is delicious!

I used to use a vegetable peeler to make my zucchini "noodles" and they looked more like pappardelle (a thick ribbon-like pasta). I got a Paderno Spiralizer for Christmas so I've been using that instead- I love it! No worries if you don't have one. A vegetable peeler will do the job.

There are two ways I make my avocado sauce. The first uses nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast that is yellow in color. It adds a cheesy, nutty flavor to the sauce, and is a great source of vitamin B12.You can find nutritional yeast in the natural section of your grocery store, or buy it in bulk at Whole Foods. I also order mine from Vitacost. The second version is more basic with a more pronounced avocado flavor.

This tastes best after it has sat in the fridge a few hours, but it's still delicious when I eat it right away. 

After using my spiralizer:

         

Served this dish with Beyond Meat Chicken Strips and roasted paprika butternut squash:


Zucchini Noodles with Cheesy Avocado Sauce

Ingredients:

1 medium zucchini
1/3 ripe avocado
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons water
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Fresh basil, parsley, or cilantro (optional)

Directions:

1. Peel zucchini into thin ribbons or use a spiralizer to make zucchini "noodles". Sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
2. Place the avocado, nutritional yeast and water in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Toss sauce with the zucchini noodles. Top with fresh herbs (if desired).

Zucchini Noodles with Avocado Sauce

Ingredients:

1 medium zucchini
1/3 ripe avocado
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1-2 tablespoons water
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Fresh basil, parsley, or cilantro (optional)

Directions:

1. Peel zucchini into thin ribbons or use a spiralizer to make zucchini "noodles". Sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
2. Place the avocado, Greek yogurt, water, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Toss sauce with the zucchini noodles. Top with fresh herbs (if desired).

No comments:

Post a Comment