Friday, September 6, 2013

Kabocha Squash Mugcake with Peanut Butter Frosting

     This is hands down one of the BEST mugcakes I have ever made! Basically, heaven in my mouth. After months of hearing about kabocha squash on Instagram, I FINALLY found one at Whole Foods this week. I roasted it as soon as I got home, because I obviously had to taste it ASAP.
    I cut the squash in half and simply roasted it in the oven for about 45 minutes. When it came out, I immediately dived in- it was all it was made out to be and more! I'm seriously in love and cannot imagine continuing my life without it. Kind of like how I feel about nut butter :)
    Kabocha squash is also known as Japanese Pumpkin. Just like others have described, kabocha squash is like butternut squash, but sweeter and creamier. It has a forest green skin and a deep orange flesh, and it its texture reminds me of a butternut squash and sweet potato combined. Three ounces of kabocha squash contains about 38 calories, and 10 g of complex carbohydrates. 

I've used my squash in stir-fries, sweet wraps, and in this insanely delicious mugcake!

Here's what  kabocha squash looks like:





Kabocha Squash Mugcake with Peanut Butter Frosting

Ingredients:

1/3 cup oatmeal
2 ounces kabocha squash
2 tablespoons egg whites
2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon butter extract (optional)
8-10 vanilla stevia drops (or original flavor)

For the Frosting:

1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon PB2
Stevia to taste

Directions:

1. Using a food processor or blender, grind oats into a flour.
2. Add remaining ingredients through the vanilla stevia drops and blend until smooth.
3. Place in a mug sprayed with cooking spray. Cook 1:15-1:30 minutes (varies depending on your microwave- just keep checking that it doesn't overcook).
4. Combine frosting ingredients in a small bowl. Add a little water if necessary.
5. Place mugcake on a plate and top with frosting.

Note: If you put the mugcake in the fridge, the frosting will harden a little- and it tastes wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment